Postdoctoral Research Associate in Social and Cultural Anthropology
07.02.2022 - application deadline: 28 February 2022
The Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence at the University of Bayreuth, funded by the Excellence Strategy of the German Federal and State Governments, and the department of Anthropology in Africa invite applications for a full-time position (100%) for a
Postdoctoral research associate in social and cultural anthropology (m/f/d)
to commence on 01 April 2022 or as soon as possible after this date. The contract period will be three years. If the personal and collectively agreed conditions are met, the salary will fall into the pay grade E 13 TV-L.
The team of Anthropology in Africa focuses its research – also beyond African contexts – on the uncertainty of lifeworlds during so-called crises, and related to that, to questions of mobility, digitalization, in/visibility and innovative and collaborative research methodologies. Applying a political/feminist/STS-based anthropological approach, we shed light on differentiation and redistribution, especially with regard to processes of transformation and anticipations of the future.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who can enrich and strengthen our fields of expertise. The position offers the opportunity to acquire further academic qualifications (e.g. developing a profile for leading a research group or habilitation).
- A very good PhD in social and cultural anthropology or related disciplines
- Academic interests linked with our research fields (notably in the areas political or economic anthropology, digitalization, citizenship studies as well as gender, migration and diaspora research)
- Extensive fieldwork experience
- A publication record commensurate with experience
- Excellent German and English language skills
- Relating to the topics that are relevant for the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence and the African Studies focus at the University of Bayreuth
- Possibly French language skills
- Experience in the organization of workshops and conferences
- Experience in grant writing
- An opportunity to conduct independent research
- Participation in our research team including the development of new research projects
- Teaching experience
- Supervision of students‘ theses
- Taking part in academic self-administration
- Future-oriented and relevant research areas
- Modern working conditions in a creative environment
- Flexible organization of working time
- Workplace health management
- Positive work environment in a friendly, open-minded and international team
- Compatibility of family and career
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees and is explicitly committed to the goal of gender equality. Women and persons who can help make the research profile of the University more diverse are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Network "Familie in der Hochschule e.V.", and has successfully participated in the HRK audit "Internationalization of the University". Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please submit your application documents (including cover letter, CV, certificates, list of publications, and a project outline of maximum 2 pages) online through our Application Portal. The key for this job vacancy is “wiMiEthnologieAfrikas2022”. The application deadline is 28 February 2022. We cannot guarantee that applications that are not submitted through the platform will be processed in time. The documents will be deleted in accordance with data protection requirements once the position has been filled.
Job interviews are planned to be held on 08 and/or 09 March 2022.
Further information about this position is available from Prof. Dr. Andrea Behrends (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By submitting an online application, you give your consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.