Current vacancy: Research Associate at Anthropology in Africa
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive, interdisciplinary focus areas in research and teaching. The Department of Anthropology in Africa (Prof. Dr. Andrea Behrends) at the University of Bayreuth is currently seeking to appoint a
Research Associate (m/f/d)
to commence on 01 February 2022. It is a part-time position (50%) accompanied by a fixed-term contract for four years. Salary will be according to pay grade 13 TV-L.
The team of Anthropology in Africa focuses its research – also beyond African contexts – on questions of mobility, gender and diversity, digitalization, flight, conflict and intervention as well as on experiencing lifeworlds in so-called crises. Applying a political/economic/STS-based anthropological approach, we shed light on differentiation and redistribution, especially with regard to processes on transformation and anticipations of the future.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who enriches and strengthens our fields of expertise. The University of Bayreuth provides the opportunity to carry out academic work and to acquire a further qualification (PhD). Candidates are highly encouraged to make use of this opportunity.
- A very good MA degree in social and cultural anthropology or related disciplines
- Academic interests linked with our research fields (notably in the areas political or economic anthropology, digitalization, citizenship studies as well as gender, migration and diaspora research
- Extensive fieldwork experience
- A publication record commensurate with experience
- Relating to the topics that are dealt with by the university’s Africa focus
- Excellent English and German language skills
- possibly French language skills
- Experience in assisting the organization of workshops and conferences
- Experience in assisting applications for external grants
- An opportunity to conduct independent research
- Participation in our research team including the possibility to conduct your own research endeavor
- Teaching experience (2.5 hours per week/semester)
- Supervision of students‘ theses
- Taking part in academic self-administration
- Future-oriented and relevant research areas
- Modern working conditions in a creative environment
- Flexible organization of working time
- Workplace health management
- Positive work environment in a friendly, open-minded and international team
- Compatibility of family and career
The position enables candidates to advance their qualifications and is based on the German law for fixed-term contracts in academic research. Hiring is in accordance to the Bavarian „Hochschulpersonalgesetz“. Teaching obligation will be 2.5 hours weekly per semester.
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees and is explicitly committed to the goal of gender equality. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Network "Familie in der Hochschule e.V.", and has successfully participated in the HRK audit "Internationalization of the University". Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please submit your application documents (including cover letter, CV, certificates, list of publications, and a project outline of maximum 2 pages) through our application platform. The key for this job vacancy is wiMiEthnologieAfrikas2021. The application deadline is 31 October 2021.
We cannot guarantee that applications that are not submitted through the platform will be processed in time. The documents will be deleted in accordance with data protection requirements once the position has been filled.
Further information about this position is available from Prof. Dr. Andrea Behrends (firstname.lastname@example.org)