Current vacancy: Senior Research Associate at the Chair of Social and Cultural Anthropology
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive, interdisciplinary focus areas in research and teaching. The Chair of Social and Cultural Anthropology at the University of Bayreuth is currently seeking to appoint a
Senior Research Associate (Akademische*r Rat/Rätin auf Zeit)
to commence on 01.10.2021. It is a full-time position accompanied by a fixed-term contract for three years, which could be extended for additional three years. Salary will be according to pay grade A13.
The Chair of Social and Cultural Anthropology focuses its research on the critical analysis of global in/equalities in relation to the production of categories of differences and their multiple effects. We are especially interested in the interface of knowledge and politics and how it shapes different political subjectivities. Our teaching focuses on political and economic anthropology, disciplinary history, critical race studies, postcolonial and feminist approaches as well as Science and Technology Studies.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who enriches and strengthens our fields of expertise. The University of Bayreuth provides the opportunity to carry out academic work and to acquire further qualifications (e.g. by doing a habilitation or by developing a profile as a research group leader). Candidates are highly encouraged to make use of this opportunity.
- A very good PhD dissertation in social and cultural anthropology
- Academic work and interests linked with our research fields (notably in the areas of political or economic anthropology, anthropology of life sciences, science and technology studies, politics of memory and cultural memory, migration and diaspora research)
- Extensive fieldwork experience
- A publication record commensurate with experience
- Excellent English and German language skills
- Experience in organizing workshops and conferences
- Experience in applying for (and administering) external grants
- An opportunity to conduct independent research
- Participation in our research team including the development of new research projects
- Teaching experience (5 hours per week/semester)
- Supervision of BA and MA theses
- Taking part in academic self-administration
- Future-oriented and relevant research areas
- Modern working conditions in a creative environment
- Flexible organization of working time
- Workplace health management
- Positive work environment in a friendly, open-minded and international team
- Compatibility of family and career
The position enables candidates to advance their qualifications. Hiring is in accordance to the Bavarian „Hochschulpersonalgesetz“. The teaching load is 5 hours per week during the semester.
The University of Bayreuth views the diversity of its staff as an asset and is expressly committed to the goal of gender equality. Female scholars and any persons who can help make the research and teaching profile of the university more diverse are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are highly welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the best-practice association “Family at University” and it offers dual career support for partners of highly qualified employees. In addition, an extended audit conducted by the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) returned a favorable review for the University of Bayreuth’s commitment to internationalization. All qualifications being equal, applicants with disabilities will be given priority.
Please submit your application documents (including cover letter, CV, list of publications, certificates, and a project outline of maximum 5 pages) through our application platform. The key for this job vacancy is ARLSEthnologie2021. The application deadline is 30.06.2021. We cannot guarantee that applications not submitted through the platform will be processed in time.
Further information about this position is available from Prof. Dr. Katharina Schramm (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By submitting an online application, you give your consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.